We all have a list of things we hope (need) to accomplish today. In our office, those lists can often be very, very long, so it’s easy for us to understand how someone can get lost in a world of need-to-dos, and never find the time for the want-to-dos. Time can have a sneaky way of slipping away from us, so rather than waiting for the right moment (which never seems to be right for one reason or many), it’s crucial we make the moment happen.
One way to help you accomplish the things you WANT to do, is to actually identify what those things are. Seems simple enough, right? The more you understand how you would like to spend your time, the better chance you give yourself to create it and actually make it your reality.
In an attempt to make more of our days, and feel more fulfilled at the end of the day, we each identified 10 things we want to do daily to help keep us on track. Our personal lists serve as a great daily reminder to not wait to do the things that are most important to us, because we might never get to do them. So, even if we don’t get through the entire list every day, we are mindful of every point on our list, and are learning to be kind to ourselves when we miss something. Pay attention to the things that are repeatedly pushed to the bottom of your list, and constantly re-evaluate to see if something is still deserving of your daily time and energy.
- Add value, always focus on value
- Give at least half of my time philanthropically
- Eat well
- Stand up rather than sit at my desk
- Offer a return on investment for every dollar spent on my services (or products)
- Make and enjoy family dinner
- Exercise and meditate
- Read at least 5 things written by others
- Enjoy good chocolate
- Be grateful and hopeful
- Be loving and respectful to myself + others
- Challenge myself
- Learn or try something new
- Fail (a sign I’m doing #3 well)
- Support good people doing good things
- Spend time with my family
- Spend time by myself
- Reach out to a friend
- Go outside
- Laugh with my family
- Eat well
- Play music
- Connect with people that matter
- Build something positive
- Cross things off of the to-do list
- Do some physical activity – preferably a sport!
- Be kind
This post is a resource from The Borden Workbook, our comprehensive guide to help entrepreneurs organize and grow their small businesses. The Borden Workbook is used in conjunction with consultation with Borden Communications, or as an organized guide you can used on your own to launch, develop, and nurture your small business (starting now!). We take pride in creating a clear and humble approach to good business tactics that everyone can understand and execute.