There’s a special bond that’s created when you buy something directly from the person who made it; that’s why we love farmers’ markets, The One of a Kind Show, and Etsy. Handmade items have a story, they’re conversation starters, and they make amazing gifts.
Forget searching for mall parking spots, or waiting in pesky lineups, because you’ll find something for everyone on your list on Etsy (even that hard to buy for, super conscious, rock star, vegan nephew!). The following are some of our favourite Etsy shops who make and sell ridiculously cool, functional, and eco-responsible gifts made with love and sustainable materials.
1. Herban Crafts – Crafting beauty products AND a better world. Shop owners Karen and Mary provide complete DIY kits to make your own organic bath and body products, and revenues from sales support job skills training for unemployed women.
2. Harvest Haversack – Wait ‘til you check out these super cool, reusable, fresh storage bags that are handmade in Melbourne. Made from hemp and organic cotton, with non-toxic water based prints, they are the perfect replacement for those pesky plastic produce bags!
3. BaaLLS – These reusable, handmade dryer balls, made from 100% organic wool, reduce drying time, static cling, and soften your clothes without any nasty chemicals. For a little more bounce in your step, add a couple of drops of the FRESH blend of essential oils for totally safe smelling laundry.
4. Earnest Efforts – Check out this collection of kids’ toys and rattles that have been handcrafted from sustainably harvested woods, and are free of lead, phthalates, formaldehyde, and splinters. Now this is a gift that will satisfy both baby and Mother Nature.
5. Orb Candles – These healthy Shabbat candles are handmade in Canada from 100% Organic Manuka Beeswax. Orb Candles are completely clean, non-toxic, and non-allergenic, and are the perfect addition to every smart Shabbat table. They make great hostess gifts too!
6. Growing Up Wild – This mom created her own line of organic baby shoes, onesies, t-shirts and more to ensure her kids have the best clothing for their health and the planet. And they’re super cute to boot!
7. Headwaters Studio – What parent wouldn’t adore one of these wooden growth charts made in the USA with sustainable Baltic birch plywood, and printed with safe inks?
8. Wren – A perfect gift for the socially conscious teens in your life. Wren Bags are created with minimal impact to the environment, follow fair trade principles, and they’re totally unique.
9. Econica – Beautiful looking and feeling clothing for women made with organic cotton and bamboo. If you’re looking for something that fits just right, send your measurements and colour choice to the shop owner for a custom garment you’ll feel great about.
10. FreshWordsMarket – Art that feels good and does good! These feel good pieces are perfect to hang wherever you need a little inspiration, and a portion of the proceeds go to help women and children around the world.
We hope you give a little (and get a little) handmade this holiday season!