Don’t ignore that headache you get when someone heavily scented sits next to you. These scents contain chemicals which are harmful to us all, and can aggravate health problems and cause immediate reactions in many, including those with allergies, asthma, and environmental illness. Although you may believe that wearing perfume or cologne makes you smell and feel good, getting them out of your body (and your life) makes the most sense.
1. Read all of your labels, and don’t buy anything with “fragrance” or “perfume” listed in the ingredients. Shop using the Empathy Economics checklist (and you can also check products for safety using the EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database)
2. Use a truly natural scent. Fortunately for all of us, there are a number of truly clean and effective deodorants available today that prevent BO with natural ingredients (Not all Deodorants are Created Equal coming in September 2022 in a Lesson in Empathy Economics).
3. Post a sign in your home/office proudly announcing that you are a Scent-Free Zone (feel free to print ours off – as featured above!), and let people know why you have done this! Sharing what you know can make a huge difference.
4. Get your school, workplace, place of worship, gym, and other public places you frequent, to go scent-free (give them a sign or share this post!).
5. Remind people that the best air freshener is actually FRESH AIR … air fresheners don’t remove odours, they only mask them.
If you climbed up to the top of a mountain, and you smelled “mountain fresh scent”, perfume, air freshener or cleaner, you would think something was wrong, right? Have plants (they clean your air!), open the windows, and get some fresh air inside instead of spraying something toxic!
TAKE ACTION NOW!
Print Scent-Free Signs by clicking here.