There may be some new potatoes arriving at your local grocery store in the near future. These genetically modified spuds might have less bruises and fewer black spots, but no long term testing has been done to understand their effect on human health. Unfortunately, it won’t be labeled on the bag that they’re GMO potatoes, so here’s how to identify them at grocery store so you can avoid them:
- Check and see if the bag says “reduced bruising” in the top right corner
- Make sure the bag doesn’t say “fewer black spots” in the top right corner
- The bag in this case was labeled “White Russet Potatoes”
- The GMO potatoes will have a link to the J.R. Simplot website
- Buy organic potatoes whenever possible
- Consider buying Red Russet or other types of potatoes instead
For more of this upsetting “story” READ THIS.