I happily and often encourage the use of reusables – they are better for the planet, and for our health. Opting for reusable straws cuts down on the amount of plastic straws thrown into landfills, and when they’re made with the right materials, reusable straws limit our exposure to toxins from plastics like BPAs and phthalates.
Not all reusable straws are created equal.
Some reusable straws are actually made with plastic, and only serve an aesthetic purpose. Plastic straws may still leach gross toxins, and aren’t as durable as their glass counterparts. Stainless steel straws – while better than plastic for our health and for the planet – can be difficult to clean properly because they are opaque.
Glass straws are the best choice for reducing plastic use and keeping ourselves healthy.
They are toxin-free, easy to clean, totally reusable, and dishwasher safe. Studies show that they even encourage us to sip more, which is great news for parents wanting to keep their kids hydrated.
Strawesome is my favourite glass straw company, for so many reasons:
- They make their straws with borosilicate glass tubing (aka the strongest commercially available glass). It’s non-toxic, so it’s safe for hot and cold beverages.
- Their straws are dishwasher safe.
- They make beautiful decorative straws, many of which give back to important environmental causes.
- Strawesome is a truly kind, family owned company.
- They handmake their straws in the USA.
- Their straws have a lifetime guarantee (if your straw breaks, Strawesome will replace it)
- You can choose the perfect straw for you based on hue, straw length, and diameter.
- The straws are totally safe for kids!
Happy sipping! For a complete list of my favourite reusables, click here.
Image from Strawesome.