Whether for pleasure or necessity or both, shopping for clothes is something we all do. Like with anything, from food, to fashion (and everything in between), every dollar you spend is telling the industry or company that you want more of it. It has never been a better time to vote with your eco-friendly, pvc & heavy-metal-free-wallet, and the money in it.
Read this before your next shopping trip:
1. Don’t listen to the fashion industry. The reason fashion “trends” change so quickly is to create the “need” for you to keep buying, perpetually. Slow fashion down.
2. Pay attention to WHERE your garment was made. Domestically-made wins over China and Bangladesh- makes perfect sense, right? Your tag says a lot about your style.
3. Know what it is made from. The great thing about fashion is that the ingredients are actually fully labeled (better than on our food for the most part). Organic cotton beats out cotton, wool isn’t eco, unless it’s #GoodWool, upcycled textiles can be great too. And careful with that rain gear… make sure it’s PVC-free.
4. Care More. Know that your good fashion decisions are better for you, better for animals, better for how you feel, and better for our world.
5. Buy better, and buy less. Buying classic pieces that will last and look good through changing trends is a great strategy. Add eco-beautiful accessories to keep your look fresh and fun.
Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live. –Gianni Versace